A New York Superbowl in February
The big news today is that the NFL will be hosting the 2014 Super Bowl in New York. At first I thought this was a joke. I mean really – who would have believed they would have the Super Bowl being played in an outdoor stadium in the northeastern United States in February?
Apparently closed minded folks like me lost out on this debate. That won’t keep me from complaining though.
Top 5 Reasons Why the NFL Goofed:
- Who wants to sit outdoors ANYWHERE north of the mason Dixon line in February unless you are a Packers fan?
- Watching guys who can barely grip the football is not entertaining
- The Super Bowl is the NFL’s biggest stage. Do they really want to make their premier players look like goobers?
- The cold weather and snow only detract from what these incredible athletes can do.
- We like offense. I doubt anyone will be running up the score if they can barely hold the ball.
Northern friends please don’t take offense!
Yes I live in New Orleans but my disapproval of the New York Superbowl has nothing to do with southern pride or anything of the sort. It’s about wanting to watch entertaining football and seeing the 2 best teams the NFL has perform their best.
I’m sorry - but if the temperature is below freezing and there is sleet, ice or snow around you can’t convince me that the NFL players will look and play like elite athletes in those conditions. Actually they look like us stumbling around and trying to get a handle on things.
And at the end of the day – that’s not what the Superbowl is supposed to be about.
Maybe we’ll get lucky
Well since the decision is made I guess we have no choice but to hope for the best and think of the possibilities. And I can think of 2 scenarios that might make this decision look like a good one:
- Packers vs. Bills in the Superbowl that year; or
- Global warming makes it a balmy 40 degrees at kickoff with sunny skies